17.11.09

Pink Floyd, a Car and Heaven, Almost

For as long as I've been driving I've only had a way to play music, other than a radio, for less than a year. So it was always something quite special for me when Pink Floyd would play on the radio- what better music to drive by, watch the scenery float by, see the vultures flying above as though they too are listening. Even semi-trucks lose their aura of gigantic bringers of instant death and become simply fellow travelers on the road. I remember hushing the kids when they would talk "shhhh....it's Pink Floyd" I'd whisper, kind of like I was receiving special instructions from the gods and didn't want to miss a word. Once, driving through Florida in a rental car, six Pink Floyd songs played in a row- we were following a group of Harleys, cruising the interior plains of Florida, ahhh. Today I was feeling kind of ill from the flu and figured a good drive into Appalachia, just one county east of me, would cure me, or at least make me feel temporarily better. And of course I was listening to Pink Floyd as I entered the sandstone hills. And yes, I surely did feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home